Wood glue is a necessary item in your household to fix wooden objects that require repair. They help to cut costs of having to buy a completely new object. Some glues work for just a short while then the objects detach once more. This is why you need the best wood glue for you household furniture and wooden objects.
A good wood glue is characterized by a few things such as; good strength to hold the objects together despite the conditions they are exposed to, reusability, ease of use and short setting and curing time among others. So with that in mind, let’s take a look at some of the best wood glues to consider if you’re looking for something to use with furniture and wood.
In short, here are my top five wood glues overall:
- Titebond Wood Glue – Fast set time, very strong, safe to touch.
- Gorilla Wood Glue – Very strong, water-resistant PVA glue.
- Elmers Wood Glue – Safe for kids, easy to use, temperature-resistant.
- Woodmasters Wood Glue – Extremely fast set time, used for a variety of home repairs.
- Fast Cap Wood Glue – Spray activated, impact resistant.
Best Wood Glues in Detail
Titebond Wood Glue
- This item is a Franklin International 5063 Titebond Original Wood Glue, 8-Ounce
- Purpose of use for Hardware, wood-glues
- This product is manufactured in United States
- Bonds stronger than wood
- Fast Set - Short Clamp Time
This glue is made of aliphatic resins. It has a strong tack initially and it sets very fast hence its clamp time is minimized. This gives you the advantage of using your hardware or object almost immediately after application of glue.
It has a uniquely strong bond which in most cases is stronger than the bond forming woods. This makes it the best glue to be used on woods. It is not affected by finishes applied on wood and has good sandability.
Titebond wood glue can be used on softwoods as well a hardwoods. It can also be used on porous materials such as pots. It has a very good formation that gives it resistance to mildew, solvents and heat. Even in harsh conditions, your wood will not part at the point you used glue.
It does not have complicated instructions on how to use. It is highly non-toxic so you have no worries of intoxication when you touch it. In case of spillage or it extends to parts of the wood you did not want to use it on, use water to clean it. It also contains no solvents in its formulation. This ensures that your glue will not get damaged once you apply it.
Gorilla Wood Glue
This glue is made using polyvinyl acetate as one of its main ingredients. It is very strong and the hardware you use it on cannot be detached once attached. As its name suggests, it is as strong as a gorilla. It takes about twenty to thirty minutes to clamp then it cures completely in a day. Once it clamps you can use your hardware but not exposing it to so much impact so that it does not part.
It is not complicated, comes in a very simple package so it’s very easy to use. It contains water as its solvent. This makes it non-toxic hence it cannot cause harm to anyone using it. Despite it being water-based, it is resistant to water. When your hardware comes into contact with water, there is no risk of it falling apart.
Gorilla Wood Glue is versatile. Its use is not limited to one type of wood but you can use it on any wood. Be it hardwood or softwood. You can also use it on composites of natural wood.
This PVA glue also dries to a natural color. When you apply it on your wood and leave it to dry, it forms a bond that is invisible. It is therefore not possible for someone to detect the presence of glue bond on your hardware.
Elmers Wood Glue
- Bonds stronger than wood
- Non-toxic, no harmful fumes, and easy to clean up with water
- Resists heat
- 16-ounce bottle of extra-strength wood adhesive
- Elmer's: The Glue with the Orange Cap
This glue can be used on a variety of wood objects at your home. It can also be used on porous materials such as cardboard, paper or cloth. It does not dry fast so you need to leave your object for a while before using it. You can place heavy items on top of those you are gluing to ease in attachment. It takes roughly a day to completely cure.
Elmer’s wood glue is completely non-toxic so you need not be worried about your safety and that of your children when any of you gets into contact with it. If you need to clean it up due to a spill or spread to the undesired parts, use water while it is still wet. If it has dried up, scrape it off with sandpaper. It is also very easy to clean your clothes and hands in case it gets to them while you are applying.
It has a simple package hence very easy to use. It has good thickness such that it does not flow too much and it’s not so viscous. Its bonds are not affected by mildews or mold. It is also resistance to extreme temperature changes and impact.
Woodmasters Wood Glue
- ★ One Glue To Rule Them All – Glue Masters offers premium quality industrial strength Cyanoacrylate Resin with the strongest bond on the market for your money. With a fast cure and extended shelf life, you can’t go wrong with us!
- ★ A True Quick Fix – Settles in just under 60 seconds, this glue is the epitome of easy. Gently apply a small amount of our Instant Glue, and watch the magic happen. Our well balanced thick viscosity offers more control to the user while still giving you a nice even flow to get the job done right without the mess or hassle.
- ★ A Hobbyist's Best Friend – Helping bring your models, puzzles, and more to completion is our goal! Our glue is the model builder’s first pick for a quality clear hold and a flow you can trust with those delicate planes, trains, and boats. Don’t take our word for it, just take a look at our customer reviews and see for yourself!
- ★ Versatility – From building scale models to repairing shoe sole, fabric, wood, and more, we’re THE glue for general household repairs, carpentry and whatever else you need fixed! It’s truly a must have for anyone’s toolbox. Our 2oz container offers you enough fixing power for any job, large or small.
- ★ Warning – Not to use on fabrics or clothing and always ware eye protection, working in a well ventilated area.
This glue is instant. It takes about 50 seconds to set. It is very strong and keeps the objects joined together with the strongest bond. It cures so fast reducing the time you need to wait, to use your object. It also has a longer shelf life which gives you a longer duration to use it for.
It has the right thickness hence you do not need to use a large amount. The thickness also helps to control the amount of glue you release from the container. It helps to prevent you from applying more glue than required and eases spreading of the glue on the objects.
Woodmasters Wood Glue contains cyanoacrylate formulation which helps it to form the strong bonds and to be used on a variety of objects such as glass, wood and other household objects that need repairs. It is however, ideal for use on wood.
For easy re-use every other time, store it in an upright position. This helps the glue that might have remained in the nozzle to flow back into the container and prevent clogging the tip. You can also place it in the fridge for longer use. It does not dry when in the fridge.
Fast Cap Wood Glue
- Powerful adhesive kit for carpentry or other bonding projects
- Easy to use--spread adhesive on one item, spray activator on other, hold together for 10-seconds
- No-clog cap
- Includes 2-ounce bottle of adhesive, 12-ounce can of activator; products work on most surfaces
- Kit measures 9.25x4x2.5 inches; weighs 1-1/4-pound when shipped
This is one of the strongest glues for wood with a very short dry time and setting time. It sets within a few seconds so you have to be fast in aligning your objects. It takes a few minutes to completely cure unlike most glues that take an entire day. You can use your wooden objects a few minutes after applying the glue in whatsoever condition with assurance that it will not detach.
It is very easy to use even though you require an activator so that it sticks. All you need to do is spread the glue, spray the activator and align the two surfaces. The activator helps the glue to dry faster. It initiates the formation of bonds within the glue. This bonds are the ones responsible for the strength of the glue.
Fast Cap Wood Glue is resistant to impact. The surfaces will not detach due to impact on them. It is also resistant to changes in temperature, mildew, water and mold. When your objects are exposed to harsh conditions, they will not separate.
The packaging of the glue allows it to be easy to apply. It is also reusable when stored appropriately which is, in an upright position.
Don’t just get yourself glue to fix your household wood, but select the best wood glue for the best properties and for your wood to last longer.
Things to consider when buying Wood Glue
If you’re looking for a decent wood glue, then there are a few things that you’ll want to look out for. Generally, I try to stick with branded wood glue like Gorilla Glue because I’ve found that with some store bought brands, they just aren’t the same quality. But if you’re purchasing a wood glue, here are a few things to think about.
Another thing you’ll definitely want to consider when you’re purchasing a wood glue is the price. Whilst they aren’t the most expensive adhesives around, you still don’t want to be wasting money on wood glue that isn’t of a decent quality. So although price does matter, the majority of wood glues that I’ve used have been pretty cheap and they still get the job done.
Do you need a wood glue?
A lot of people ask me whether they actually need a wood glue, and my answer is always the same. You can’t get the same effect with a different type of glue as with a wood glue, as a wood glue is made specifically for dealing with wood. So, it makes sense that you get a wood glue for your collection if you’re going to be performing a lot of DIY.
In terms of shelf life, wood glue is very similar to any other kind of glue. You’ll usually get 12 months out of it working at full effectiveness, at which point you’ll need to replace it (however it will probably good for longer than that, that’s just what’s directed on the bottle!).
Overall, these are just a couple of the better wood glues that I’ve used over the years that you might want to think about using yourself. If you’re not sure that you need wood glue, then it might be worth looking at other types of glue. For most home circumstances, a decent quality super glue will prove to be the best choice. However if you’re dealing with furniture or anything to do with wood, then you’ll undoubtedly want to pick something from this list.